I get it. We’ve been there before, too. When people ask if you’re enjoying your holidays you think to yourself, “No, because I haven’t even been able to.” Rushing from one party to the next, trying to make everybody happy, and putting your own hopes and desires or your Christmas season on the back burner. And before you know it… It’s December 26th, you’re exhausted, and a little over it all.
Can I encourage you? Stop. Like, for real, stop. This is your year to take the reins on your Christmas season and saying intentional “yeses” ONLY for things you actually want to go to with your own family. It’s tough to say “no” to things, and especially things that are seemingly fun. But, if it keeps you and your family from accomplishing your personal list of hopes and expectations for Christmas, say no. Creating a Christmas you actually love is the BEST gift you can give yourself.
How do you do this? Glad you asked. 😉 MAKE A LIST, CHECK IT TWICE! You have 25 days, or now just 9(!!!), to make the Christmas season of your dreams happen. One that isn’t marked by franticness or chaos, but rather intentionality and joy. We have a list of 11 things that are non-negotiables for us this season. 7 bucket list items for my family, Knox’s birthday party, and extended family traditions. These are things we want to do and wouldn’t miss for the world. If you do the math… that means our weekends are basically claimed along with a couple week nights a week. Put these on the calendar, budget them in, and stick to the plan. Then, if fun opportunities come up that don’t interfere with your list of non-negotiables and it won’t be stressful to say “yes”, then go ahead and add something to your calendar!
A Couple Other Suggestions for Gifts to YOU (In addition to the list):
- Spend 20 minutes going through your “Follow” list on IG/Facebook. Unfollow anybody who doesn’t make you a better you. Whether their account can boil up insecurity or jealousy in you, or they just maybe aren’t part of your life anymore… Scroll through and see how you can declutter your IG feed. If I see an IG handle I don’t recognize, I unfollow.
- Plan a special lunch with a few gals at a fancy restaurant and wear your favorite dresses for the heck of it. I suggest Toulouse if you live in DFW. It feels like stepping into France.
- Clean out your closet. Again… declutter. Decluttering your life is the best gift to you, in my opinion.
- Pick one thing you’ve said you have wanted to do for ages but just never have. I am making a Gingerbread House tonight with my family, because I never have and always say I want to!
- Go get holiday nails done! There’s just something about having a fresh set of festive nails that makes me feel on top of the world.
You can be in charge of your Christmas, your family, and everything you do over this season. Own it! Be in charge of your schedule and set the boundaries you need to be able to enjoy this Christmas.
Love you guys. Merry Christmas!