Alright my friends! Not only has my favorite time of year officially begun, it’s one of my favorite times of year with my kids to teach them the Bible. I have shared over the years how I teach Knox about Jesus, but especially how we implement Jesus and the season of Advent into Christmas time and I tend to get quite a few questions when I show glimpses in my stories. So I wanted to finally just get everything I can help with in one spot if you’re looking for ways to add a greater focus on Jesus while also having so much fun still this Christmas season.
First, the season of Advent is the official Christmas season, if you will, in the Church. This year is Nov 27th-Dec. 24th! It’s meant to represent the anticipation of Jesus’ birth as well as the anticipation we feel as believers for his return one day. The actual definition of “advent” is the anticipation of a notable person! That’s the entire idea of taking the entire month leading up to Christmas Day to celebrate, prepare, and recognize the reason behind why we celebrate Christmas: JESUS!
Resources I Use:
- Jesus Story Book Bible (Read the section about the birth of Jesus)
- Kids Read Truth: We have their christmas story book from a few years ago that is sadly not available anymore. BUT, I LOVE this new tool they have and want to buy for us this year, too. It’s scripture ornaments you hang on the tree that tell the story of Jesus’ birth the closer you get to the 25th! How cute would these be on a mini tree for a special advent tree!? This would be so helpful as you navigate teaching a verse each day and what to focus on! If you were to buy one thing to begin Advent in your home, I would say get this!
- Advent Calendar: I have an interactive calendar I have legit had since I was 6 years old. I put a chocolate kiss behind each door and then also with the calendar is a piece to hang on the nativity scene behind each door. Every morning, we get to eat our special chocolate treat and hang the piece up wherever Knox (and now this year, Rory) wants to and I teach the significance of that piece to the story. If you need help with that part, you can stick to reading the story from Luke in the Bible or the Jesus Story Book Bible! Then after I finish a quick teaching, I say “So why do we get to have special treats and get gifts during Christmas?” And they reply “Because Jesus is the best gift EVER!” And then I say “And why did Jesus have to come?” They reply, “To kick the devil’s booty!”
- We also do 25 days of fun through the advent season. I set a budget with Paul and then I plan 25 activities and outings we surprise the kids with each day. One day could be as simple as watching Elf and trying spaghetti with syrup like Buddy or doing hot cocoa and driving around for lights together!
- A final thing we do too make sure we keep Jesus at the forefront of the season is that anytime we can say it, Santa is for FUN and Jesus is FOR REAL. We will never reassure Santa is real or that his magic is real. We make it very clear it is for fun!