Hi loves, Carleigh here! If you’re new around here, I work with Hannah and make all things The Cake happen behind the scenes and am lead Media Manager for our Social Media Management Company. First, I want to give the disclaimer that I am by no means a beauty expert. But, I am self taught on things as I have been on a journey to find the best face primers for my skin type, and I wanted to share for those of you that may be searching as well. Here at The Cake HQ, we are all about sharing life hacks and finds to make your life easier (and sweeter!). AND, we always hope to save you $$$ when it comes to the trial and error of trying new products. I hope my finds can help you out!
For reference, I (Carleigh) have combination skin and my biggest skin issues are large pores, acne, and scarring. It’s important to keep these factors in mind when searching for primers, foundations, etc. that will work best for you. These are the products I have tried so far- I hope some of this information helps you find the perfect face primer for you!
Bare Minerals- Prime Time BB Tinted Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- This has been my favorite primer for years. I love that it’s tinted, has SPF 30 in it, and lasts a good amount of time so you aren’t having to rebuy it too often.
- I give this primer 4.5 stars. I really only stopped using it because I wanted to try something new! It evened out my skin tone well, worked well with my foundation, and had SPF 30 to protect my skin.
Tatcha- The Silk Canvas Protective Primer
- It’s very smooth and silky like it says, but it didn’t last as long as I hoped it would. I definitely had to use more than the recommended amount to cover my face. I didn’t think it did a great job at minimizing my large pores.
- I give this primer 2.5 stars. It’s a fine product that may work better if you don’t have the same issue of large pores, but it does claim to help with that and I didn’t think it did. I just expected it to do more and don’t think it’s worth the price tag.
Too Faced- Hangover Replenishing Face Primer
- Let me start by saying that this primer does exactly what it claims. It’s hydrating, replenishing, and keeps your makeup in place! I think it works for all skin types (oily skin, dry skin, combination skin) and lasts a decent amount of time.
- I personally didn’t love this primer just because I need more help in covering up/blurring imperfections in my skin and less help in keeping it hydrated. This primer simply does different things than what I need. If you need a primer that is more hydrating then I would recommend trying this one!
- I give this primer 4 stars because it does exactly what it says and is great for those who need more hydration in their skin. If that was my issue I think I would have loved this primer!
Benefit- The POREfessional Face Primer
- I LOVE this primer. It’s tinted, lasts a long time, and does everything it’s supposed to. It definitely helped reduce the look of my large pores, blurred imperfections, and evened my skin tone. It turns almost powdery when you rub it in- the feel of it is so soft and smooth.
- I give this primer 5 stars. This primer did everything I hoped the over-rated Tatcha primer would do. It made my skin look more even, covered imperfections, and lasted a long time. (And it’s way cheaper!!)
Tula- Face Filter Blurring & Moisturizing Primer
***This one is Hannah’s favorite, too! She gives it 5 stars and tested it out for Tula before it launched.
- I just started using this primer and I LOVE it!! After hearing everyone rave about it after it came out I knew I needed to try it, and it lives up to the hype. It changes color as you rub it in to give you a little bit of color while still matching your skin tone. I definitely feel like it evens out my skin tone and it’s really moisturizing!
- I give this primer 5 stars. It does everything it says it does and gives your skin a really pretty, natural look! It works great as a primer under your foundation, but also looks good on its own! (Hannah wore it by itself more often than not!)